[alfa] Unsprung weight & stuff

I appreciate all of those who contributed comments regarding unsprung weight. I'll confess it reminds me a bit of my old accounting class at the U of N. It Should seem so obvious as to what a debit and a credit are and was to just about everyone in the class except yours truly. Same with unsprung weight, but now do have a better picture of what it is (and isn't).

Especially appreciated George Graves comments regarding the weight thing especially in respect to the transaxle cars. True, he might be a wee bit biased in his praise for these cars, owning an '86 GTV6 3.0 'S', but I'll accept the praise in behalf of the Alfetta GT contingent.

Way, way off the subject, but read the "shoot-out" in the Sept. R & T between the 2004 Dodge SRT-4 and Saturn Ion Red Line. They weren't too keen on the latter's center gauges, especially with the tach on the far right - "A center-mounted gauge cluster is beneficial in that it is never obscured by the steering wheel, but on the down side, it is not in the driver's line of sight. In daily driving this isn't a bother, but when in a sporting situation, it's important for the driver to see a tachometer straight ahead."

So if Saturn did this very thing and placed the tach in front of the driver, leaving the other gauges in the middle, and just possibly had a somewhat slow first to second gear change, it would be ridiculed by virtually every automotive magazine in the world?

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

It's too hot to work in the shop and I'm afraid if I go outside to work, the bogeyman will get me.

Don't suppose there are a couple of guys (and/ or gals) who have nothing to do for the rest of the week, live nearby, and have the following props: (since this is primarily an Hispanic area) a really wide brimmed straw hat, fake intimidating droopy mustache, (forget the correct name) the crossed belts filled with bullets, and a Winchester carbine. A Colt .45 revolver in an appropriate holster and bunches of bullets would certainly be a plus.

All you'd have to do is hold up the carbine every time someone tries to drive into the place. Need two people since there are two in / out driveways. Ask for papers. If any identify them being from the city of Irwindale, AQMD, Sheriffs (you're really on your own there), or Bureau of Automotive Repair, simply raise your carbine, pull the trigger, and say, "We don't want your steenking kind around here." A bullet through a fender might also help make the point.

Just a thought on a peckish afternoon yet running out of time to have Spider ready to paint by weekend.