[alfa] California Regulations

> I'm sort of laying low since the Sheriff's helicopter flew
> over while I was primering late last evening. Then later a small plane
> flew directly over my, unh, err, exterior spray booth, at a pretty low
> altitude. Big Brother or merely paranoia? Only time will tell.

Biba - I hope you made out OK.  While I would not condone production
painting outdoors, I suspect that the amount of VOC you are putting into
the pristine air there in Irwindale is minor compared with what the the
local 'burger joints are spewing out.

Speaking of our friends at CARB (that's "California Air Resources Board" -
people who are most definitely AGAINST carburetors), I tried to buy some
degreaser at my local AutoZone yesterday.  The guy there said it just
isn't sold anymore, at least not in this state.  Now, maybe I am dating
myself, but I used to buy something called "Gunk Super Concentrate",
which was a brown liquid that you mixed with gasoline to make a parts
cleaning solvent - the stuff would turn a milky white when you hit it with
water, removing itself + dirt-impregnated oil pretty well.  That product got
pulled off the market years ago, replaced by what seemed like industrial
strength detergent for parts degreasing  "Simple Green" is a brand name
I remember.  That stuff worked sort of OK - not as well as my my beloved
Gunk - but it was good for removing oil stains from the driveway.
Yesterday  neither AutoZone nor Kraegens had any Simple Green on
their shelves.  They still have aerosol products like Gumout, but nothing
in liquid form.

My questions are: 1) What are my fellow Californians using to clean
parts? and 2) Can car enthusiasts in other states/countries still use
products like Gunk?

No need to lecture me about the importance of the environment - yea
yea, I agree.  Heck, I am recycling old cars, right?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, Ca