[alfa] Re: Rusty 164 windshield headers

Those clever penny pinching engineers at Alfa decided only the lower part of the body needed galvanizing (how much extra could it have cost to dip the entire body?).

I have seen several 164 with rusty windshield headers, including mine. It is the ONLY place my 164 is rusting seriously. The right rear wheel arch is also a challenge but the car was hit early on in its career and the plastic fender liner no longer fits completely so I don't blame Alfa for that. This area suffers only from superficial surface rust. However, the windshield header is structural and should not rust. I have never seen another brand of car with this problem, not even Ford!

Anyway, you cannot repair this area in any useful sense without pulling the windshield. The windshield will not always crack when you take it out, but if you don't have access to a new one it will! Murphy's Law. Do not assume that a new 164 windshield is only a phone call away. They are hard to source.

If your header has rusted through (that would explain the leak) then you need to rust repair by cutting out and welding metal. The windshield has to come out for this.

Even if the rust has not perforated the body, the rust could cause the bonded seal to leak. To fix this might only require that you locate the leak and goop it. There are industry accepted methods of re sealing a leaking windshield without removing it. Try a good glass shop for advice.

I'm awaiting the next big stone damage before tackling this problem.

Cheers

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner