[alfa] Steering box

Damian:

When I had a Montreal, I needed steering box work and one of the owners on
the Montreal forum referred me to Phil's Foreign Car Service in Santa Cruz.

Ferrari of Seattle removed the box and we sent it to Phil. He had to make
some adjustments and it worked great. The Montreal steering was better than
ever. Mine did not require a rebuild, only partial re-assembly and
adjustment. Cost $ 125 plus two way UPS.

If you need a rebuild, he has a good reputation.

I'm sure he will not openly discuss all his "secrets," but if your steering
is getting dangerous, it may be worthwhile to have him fix it.

One on hand the steering box is not too complex, but since they last quite a
while not as many people have experience rebuilding them.

When I drove the Montreal to Concorso Italinao in 2001, the water pump
bearing puked. I got towed from Concorso to Phil's and he replaced the
bearing. If you are not aware, the water pump bearing on the Montreal is its
very weak point. Replacement typically requires removal of the engine,
removal of both heads, etc. Industrious owners are developing ways to
replace the bearing without engine removal, but usually the entire front of
the engine comes off. You do not want to know how much this cost for a
checkbook mechanic.

Phil came well recommended by other Montreal owners and worked great for me,
YMMV.

Mr. Phil Mason
Phil's Foreign Car Service
2846 A Soquel Avenue
Santa Cruz 95062
(831) 479-0544

Mike Nakamura
Fall City WA
84 GTV-6, 91 Spider Veloce, 94 164 LS, 02 Dakota