[alfa] 1977 GTV 2000 transaxle vibration mystery

Hi
I sold my GTV 6 before I left Washington DC for my new home in Heidelberg, Germany and of course one of the first things that I did was to look for a new Alfa. I have just purchased a 1977 GTV 2000 in extremely good condition, well as good as you can expect. Anyway, I have had a few problems with the exhaust coming loose at the manifold, three times breaking off just before the last silencer, and a drivers door window cable breakage (x2). All of those problems have been fixed for the last time I hope.
Anyway, I have a new problem that I think may be the root of the exhaust breakage's. I have recently noticed that I have a strong vibration that starts at 3000 revs and dies down at about 4100 revs. I have had the transaxle rubber and bearings checked and they all seem in great condition. The mechanic that looked for the cause seems to think that some balance weights are missing from the shaft, he has tried to guesstimate by placing a hose clamp around the axle to try and counter this vibration, it has not helped. I would really like to hear from anyone who has suggestions on how to fix/diagnose this problem or general information on where the weights (should be) are located.

Thanks in advance

Jason

GTV 2000