[alfa] GTV-6 window lifter failure

As I was backing out of my parents' garage on Friday to head back to school, the driver's side window on my GTV-6 decided not to go up. I could hear a slight clunk from from the motor as though something was stuck. Then I heard the motor start spinning freely. Removal of the door panel revealed that the cable had come off the pulleys, but something must be wrong with the winder because running the motor didn't always draw the same amount of cable into the winder as it let out. I ended up putting the (severely frayed) cable back on the top pulley and raising the window, but I don't anticipate being able to use it in this condition. Can I just untangle things and replace the frayed cable, or do I need to replace the whole darn thing. Are new winder mechanisms even available, or should I call APE?

Thanks as always,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6