Re:[alfa] 164 LS Sparkplugs & Battery

Bob Pirez asks:

"I have a '94 164 LS with 60,000 miles and I thought it might be time to
replace the sparkplugs. NGK, Denso, Autolite, Splitfire, Champion,
Bosch??? "

Bob, based on my experience (from new, 6 years) with our LS, I wouldn't kick that sleeping dog! You state the engine starts and runs fine, so I respectfully suggest you leave it be for now. The NGK plugs in the 24 valve motor are specials, and at last check, ran about $18 each. There are mixed and highly variable opinions out there on running other plugs, including the Bosch Plus 4, in the 24V. Our plugs went over 80K miles before it became necessary to change them. Bottom line-- shop around, and get on the Alfa BB at the 164/168 group for further comment.

And regarding the battery, Bob asks:

"While on the subject of starting and running, my current battery doesn't
want to perform according to my expectations. Again, once the car is
running, all is fine. Holding and maintaining a charge, seems to be a
challenge. Recommendations????"

The original Interstate battery in our LS went five years, and I replaced it with an identical one. If you have problems holding a charge, first check the serpentine belt tension driving the alternator. Then, going to the ground cable at the battery, clean both the ground cable ring terminal and the bolt that grounds to the chassis. Run a small wire brush into the ground nut threads also, and coat it all with a dielectric grease to inhibit corrosion. Tighten the ground bolt securely. Clean the battery posts and terminal clamps where they contact the posts, install a set of those colored felt washers to inhibit corrosion (they work!).

Then you can assess the situation for any improvement. If there is none, I would suspect the battery long before the alternator.

Dave Jarman
Lexington, KY
USA
1991 Spider