[alfa] 2000 Distributor Shaft problem

My 74 Spider had the engine completely rebuilt about 6 years (2507 miles and
$2962) ago. This week I went to start it in the garage and after the usual
one near start and die, it refused to spark or run. When I checked for the
cause of a no spark problem, I found the distributor is not turning at all.
I pulled the distributor and removed the cam cover to find that when the
engine is turned over, all visible parts seem to be fine except that the
distributor shaft is not turning. The oil pump drive gear is turning
normally. A screwdriver in the distributor slot will not readily turn the
distributor shaft.

Is it likely that the drive pinion gear retaining pin on the oil pump shaft
is broken or fell out? Broken shaft? Is there any way to fix the problem
without pulling the radiator, sump, front engine cover and all that stuff?

Thanks

Richard

2 and a quarter spiders and a GTV6 today.

---