[alfa] pretty rustproofing

I'm getting ready to finish rebuilding the front suspension on the Alfetta-like-object in the garage. Does anyone have a suggestion for what to paint the parts with after a thorough cleaning and/or mild sandblasting? I've heard very good things about POR, but (cheap Alfa owner thing) would like something that's a bit less expensive -- there's still the rear end to do. Would the engine enamel paints that they have at autozone work? What have other people done? incredible rust protection isn't the utmost concern -- after 25 years, the parts aren't rusty, so i don't forsee any rust coming soon.

thanks.

kyle in houston