Re: [alfa] 164 LS Sparkplugs & Battery

Bob:

How handy are you? The LS plugs are below the cam cover mounted coils (three of them back by the false firewall). I'd take it to an experienced LS mechanic. I'd use the recommended by Alfa plugs, the ones that are probably in the car. And I think they are a 60,000 mi service Item along with a bunch of other stuff (timing belt?) that should all be done at once by that Alfa experienced/trained professional.

As for the battery all 164's use a tractor equivalent battery which you can get at your local NAPA store. It's plenty of battery for the car and lasts 7 or so years in Texas. Just get a NAPA battery or an Interstate.

Bernie Bennett
Brenham, TX

Bob Perez wrote:

Hello All -

I have a '94 164 LS with 60,000 miles and I thought it might be time to replace the sparkplugs. NGK, Denso, Autolite, Splitfire, Champion, Bosch???
We now live in Florida, from the Northeast and so I thought I would be best served by asking the list for advice on plugs. The engine is stock and the car starts and runs fine with the current set. By the same token, I don't want to have to scramble around trying to get something that may represent a bit of a challenge.

While on the subject of starting and running, my current battery doesn't want to perform according to my expectations. Again, once the car is running, all is fine. Holding and maintaining a charge, seems to be a challenge. Recommendations????

Thanks for listening.

bob pirez
'94 164 LS
Largo, Florida