Re:[alfa] "hardtop bits"

Dick Bevins asks--
"I found a factory hardtop for my '86 Spider. It looks great and the paint
even matches the car. Unfortunately, the rubber window gaskets don't meet the
glass in any way that will keep out the wind, never mind the rain. Does anyone
know of a place that sells thicker material?"

Dick, if the hardtop rubber weatherstrip is intact and continuous, you should be able to adjust the window glass and the door frame to meet it correctly. Remove the door panels and plastic membrane sheet, inside the door at the front, you will see that the frame assembly is adjustable in two axes. The frame can be tilted inside to outside, and also front to rear. The window pane itself can be adjusted vertically by means of the two clamp screws at the bottom channel. I adjusted my '91 Spider window fit about a year or so after I bought it new, to seal a bit tighter against the top. I do recall some bad scrapes though, from working inside that front opening, so some lightweight leather gloves might be a good idea.

Dave Jarman
Lexington, KY
USA