RE: [alfa] Back from a Wonderful Vacation in Italy (slowly wandering off-topic)

True, individual restaurants can certainly change with a change in staff (although I believe that most restaurants in Italy are not dependent on an individual "star chef" the way some U.S. restaurants are; though a restaurant changing hands can obviously be dramatic anywhere). However, regional specialties and cultural values change very slowly. As a case in point, you can walk in to any respectable grocery store in Emelia-Romagna and find filled pastas (tortellini, etc.) that will likely rival those of the best restaurants in the States and outclass what you'll get in an expensive gourmet shop there.

The point about the car shows is well-taken though, and *definitely* worth seeking out. I happened upon an amazing Ferrari show in a piazza in the middle of Mantova when my wife and I were there for a cousin's wedding last summer. I think they competed with the bride for the attention of at least a few guests.

- Hal
(who is somewhat jealous of the fact that Dan probably eats better and enjoys better weather than I do)

Dan K. wrote:

Hal, but I'm sure that you know that a great place to eat today
can change when the cook decides to go or the owner sells.  Happens
all the time here on the Tuscan coast and elsewhere we've been.

But as for Alfa destinations, I'd concur that coming when the Mille
Miglia is being held or the Gran Premio Nuvolari which will be in
September is a great time to visit and see some of the nice old cars.
One can also time one's visit with the famous car shows like in Bologna
or elsewhere.  One of my favorite visits is to see the Nuvolari cars
when they stop for the night in Rimini and leave the following morning
for the last leg of the race.  The Nuvolari will run this year from
16 thru 19 September.  Check out the internet for the particulars.
http://www.tazionuvolari.it/indexuk.htm

Buon viaggio!
Dan K.
(who works in Italy and lives 3 hours south of Milano)