[alfa] clutch slave removal (1976 Alfa Spider), occasional NS on Milano

Folks-

I'm trying to remove a clutch slave from the bell housing mount on a 1976 Alfa Spider. I've removed the two snap rings, but the cylinder doesn't budge with modest tapping with a hammer. Any other secrets--or a bigger hammer?

On my other Alfa, a 1988 Milano Verde--occasionally on key-turn to start I get power (lights, fuel pump--rewired by PO to turn on with ignition, etc) but no noise or action from the starter or solenoid. I replaced the ignition switch--made no difference. Usually with some number of repeated trys, I get juice to the starter and it goes fine. Is this symptomatic of something in particular? The starter/solenoid is such a pain to get to I don't want to go there unless I'm fairly confident that is the problem area.

Thanks for any advice on these issues.

Pat Farrell