[alfa] Re: Buying Alfas on Ebay

Hi All:  I have purchased 2 Alfas on Ebay, both sight unseen. I agree
with the caveat that they never look as good in real life as they do in
the pics. My cars have both been good purchases in my view. The first I
paid a fairly premium price for, but had had quite a bit of discussion
with the seller before the auction ended. We had developed some rapport,
and I bought the car largely on the strength of that rapport and of the
40 or so hi-res digital photos he had sent me and posted. The second car
was a low priced car within driving distance that needed a clutch. I got
the car for a fair price, had a great adventure bringing it in from
Canada through the San Juan Islands, replaced the clutch and sold the car
at only a slight loss. (I only lose a little on each car, but I make up
for it in volume.) A good learning experience, I left the Alfa in better
shape than I found it, what's wrong with that? I have also purchsed an
Alfa via Craig's list, sight unseen but with some referral from a lister
here, and though the car was pretty rough, it has also been a good
experience. (Honestly, when the trailer first pulled up in front of my
house, what I thought to myself was "That's an ugly car!")It's no longer
ugly at all, and I've learned a bit making it better and have enjoyed
owning it.Also, I'm about ready to put a '90 Spider on the block,
probably via EBay, so I guess I'm firmly in the "for" camp. I agree that
wider exposure is almost a necessity for such a niche item. Lots of parts
purchases of Alfa items, only one bad, and it wasn't all that bad...just
got hosed on shipping from the UK. I would say go for it, but with eyes
open, and take advantage of the great resource that is the digest. Expect
a few surprises, learn from the experience, ask LOTS of questions and
enjoy your Alfa! Be aware also of what shipping will run for your
purchase...that can be a nasty little surprise.     Pat Hood, Seattle
Spider, Berlina, Super, Super.