[alfa] Tire dilemma

I apologize for dragging along the entire email, but difficult to merely
take snippets.

I've told more than one client that after getting their restored car
back, should they prefer to have it crushed into one big square block
and make a coffee table out of it, it's certainly theirs to do with as
they please. In the meantime I will freely give him my opinion on any issues.

I actually do try to make compromises with clients over (generally
fairly minor) differences when they come up.

While I hate to ruin this entire thread, it does appear as if there
might not be the problem I've been anticipating. Jim, the client, keeps
his opinions (read: compliments) close to his vest, but just received
this email: "It was a real pleasure to finally meet you. Thanks for
taking the time to show us around. It was exciting to see the body in
such nice shape. I was thinking about tires. What size do you recommend?
I believe the Klebers are 185/70 -14's aren't they. You were liking a
slightly lower profile -65?"

Still doesn't mean he isn't thumbing through the Tire Rackelectronic catalog for
65 series whitewalls though.

If I take payment for something (my invoices are 13 to 14 pages long and
obviously very detailed) I will install what I say and / or what is
agreed to.

Purity and installing a two liter in a '69 1750 Spider: Perhaps I should
say I'm not quite as "pure" as I appear. I should add an entire row of
happy faces after the following statement...but I won't. I feel I have a
pretty good idea where it is acceptable to make variations on -
especially, but not solely, '69 Alfa Spiders - and where they shouldn't
be made.

Part of the reason for the two liter is I had one which was a runner.
However, if I'd also had a 1750, I'd still install the 2 liter. I hate
changing those outdated oil filters and feel that the two liter has a
bit more torque and parts availability for them should continue for
decades - hopefully forever. I happily point out the filter and head
marking differences between the two liter (which is currently sitting on
a carpeted rolling platform in my office / living room) and a 1750.

When rebuilding the 750 Fiat Abarth Zagato I always said if someone
could stuff a Chey V8 inside the 600 block, it would be great (though
possibly a wee bit tail heavy).

Several months ago a nice guy who is restoring his own '69 Spider
stopped by. He wanted me to detail out his engine like I did the two
liter. When he told me he was going to use a K & N filter I told him I
wouldn't do it. He laughed...but I meant it.

The K & N filters are so inappropriate on a '69 (or any Alfa) Spider it amazes me
anyone would even consider installing one. Whitewalls on a '69 Spider
scream tasteless 50's 'merican iron. These cars are anything but that.

Been trying to locate rubber triangular door rubber stops. Was told all
that was available is plastic. When ordering some special rubber edging
(which no one will ever see) from Matt at Re-Originals I asked if he had
the stops in rubber. Yes he did and now I have several pairs. Unless
absolutely forced to use something else, I am fanatical about such
details as this.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

Rather than making tons of money today, did what should have been a quickVery Preliminary '69 straw Spider page on my web site - but wasn't - quick that is.

http://www.alfacybersite.com/BR69iSpd.html

Note the dark metallic gray on the wheels in the final shot. Along with no shiny hubcaps, it does look like it needs some relief from the darkness.

*********