Re: [alfa] Tire dilemma

I have always been of the opinion that whitewall are not as sporty... I know they're shown in the original catalogs on big Mercedi and the like, so I always put them in the luxury category. That being said, my brother just picked up some NOS narrow band whitewalls for his '70 Karmann Ghia convertible (they were shown as a $10 option on the window sticker) and it looked pretty nice.

Then again, unless he went with the euro look on the rest of the spider, it must be remembered that the car is in fact in America and any American options would be original on this vehicle. That includes whitewalls and a radio and carpeting and other things installed by Max Hoffman and his contemporaries to seduce us (well, I wasn't born yet) away from domestic vehicles.

Conversely, my enlightened, fashion sensed, metrosexual (ugh, I hate that word) side has to ask if the white will actually look good with the straw color. Hey... you gotta think of these things! If you want, send me a side view of the car and I can "install" some whitewalls for you with Photoshop and you can check this.

-Ben Kaupp, Santa Cruz
'78 Spider (smoking on start. I don't wanna think about it)