Re: [alfa] Re: Air conditioning question (not Alfa specific) - ammonia toxicity

Sorry to disagree on this, but ammonia is quite toxic, in spite of the fact
that our bodies and a whole host of other living things produce it.  If you
doubt this, stick an open bottle of lab grade ammonia up to you nose and
inhale deeply.  Actually, please don't, because the result is pretty violent
and I don't want to be responsible.

There are also issues with ammonia being a nutrient that can result in
over-fertilization of streams, lakes, and estuaries.

I don't know diddley about refrigerant performance, but I can tell you that
there are a bunch of really good reasons to avoid unnecessary use and
release of ammonia

Dean Mericas
Ann Arbor, MI
1974 2000GTV
1965 TR4

> Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 01:09:24 -0600
> From: bearbvd@domain.elided (Greg Hermann)
> Subject: Re: [alfa] Re: Air conditioning question (not Alfa specific)

<SNIP>
> The whole thing about the 'new' freons is probably even MORE
> comical than the scare mongering that DuPont put out about
> ammonia (which is about the BEST refrigerant there IS) when
> they developed the first freon (R-12) !!!! Now they are even
> calling NH3 'poisonous' --presumably because a number of
> knowedgeable folks suggested going back to ammonia when the
> greenies decided R-12 was a bad thing !!! Yeah,
> right---something that we manufacture IN OUR OWN BODIES is a
> POISON !!!
<SNIP>