Re: [alfa] Re: Air conditioning question (not Alfa specific)

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 19:45:02 -0700 (GMT-07:00) Sonny <maxid@domain.elided> wrote:
> Also an A/C shop here informed me that the fittings used for non-R-12,
> non-R-134a refrigerants are not standardized and I would have a hard time
> finding someone who would work on my system if I went with another
> refrigerant.

i don't think this is quite right.

in those markets where alternative refrigerants are permitted, apparently
you are required to use R-134a type fittings. so to be legal with a hydrocarbon
based refrigerant, you'd need to convert your R-12 system to use the R-134a
fittings first. as it happens, these are readily available from chain autoparts
stores. the main issues then are

1) whether you are concerned about the potential hazards (i think that the
hazards of hydrocarbon based refrigerants are overstated, myself), and
whether they are actually legal in the state where you live.

2) if your system still has any of its old charge left, you need a
professional to take care of removing it properly.

3) whether you feel up to DIY or else whether you can find a professional
to handle it for you.

> Now, I would like to hear from anyone who has been recommended to go with an
> alternative refrigerant by a specialized A/C shop.

quite frankly, they make more money if they do a full up 134a conversion. that
was the main complaint back during the switchover; HVAC shops allegedly
pushed for 134a because of the profit potential.

richard