[alfa] Legible wiring diagrams (was: Magnifying diagrams on the CarDisc CD manuals

Gwynne Spencer discusses a problem obtaining legible wiring diagrams:
Per recommendations, I installed the pdf995 programs and looked at an
electrical wiring diagram in my CarDisc CD for the 1991-1993 Spider.  I
"magnified" the diagram; bad news -  the notations (I believe they are
the wire size and color) are still completely illegible. It seems that
the pictures were copied at very low resolution; the small print just
appears as some "globs".

I guess it is time to start looking for an original printed manual. I
sent an email to "books4cars and asked them if their manuals were
original factory prints, or reprints and am waiting for an answer. I
previously asked Centerline about their printed manuals and received
the following response:

"The book is a reprint of the factory manual, so being a copy there is
a lack of sharpness. I did look at the wiring Section, and most of the
notations are legible. There is also a section on alignment in the
front of the book.
Centerline Products"

Note that it says "most of the notations are legible" -  not exactly
useful. If I am working on the car, I do not want to have to guess
about something like a wire color!

Centerline also offers, for a dozen different Alfa models, but not
later than 74, 11 x 17 wiring diagram blow-ups in plastic laminate
so one can trace a circuit with a marker and clean it after finishing
the job. No help for Gwynns later car, but for others a
purpose-dedicated enlarged diagram at $6.25 could be a useful
alternative or adjunct to a $70 degraded reprint of a factory manual or
to a low-resolution CarDisc.

Also the (US) AROC maintains a quite comprehensive technical library of
factory originals for its members; it was recently transferred from the
custody of one librarian to another, but in the past any member could
get a photocopy of any page of any manual, at cost. I have not used
this service, but my ancient personal Cannon copier will enlarge by 22%
and routinely produces undegraded copies on brighter, whiter paper than
the originals, and I would expect the club to do at least as well. The
service is one of the several practical advantages of AROC membership,
and another of the reasons I question the wisdom of freeloading.

John H.
Raleigh N.C.

164 base
Milano Platinum