[alfa] Torsion Bar Ride Height Adjustment

Hi Gilles

I noticed your note and the responses in the digest over the last few days on this subject.

I have adjusted ride height on my Alfetta which I think is very similar to the Milano.

I, too struggled with getting the height right.

After numerous attempts, I finally noticed that I cold effectively measure the height result I was getting without reassembling everything and putting the car back down on the ground.

It went like this;

Measure existing ride height

Establish the target ride height

Determine the amount of adjustment (difference of the above two measurements)

Proceed to the stage where you've separated the ball joint, just before starting to remove the torsion bar with the A-arm drooping towards the ground

Measure the height of the A-arm from the ground

Use the adjustment amount you've already figured out to set a target height for the A-arm

Adjust torsion bar at the rear mount, turning it the desired number of splines

Re-fit the torsion bar to the A-arm to give the desired height.

(note: for any given location of the torsion bar in the rear mount, the A-arm will potentially fit the torsion bar in two or maybe three positions. One of these will be at your target. The other(s) will be way off, and you can easily spot them measuring the A-arm height off the ground.

Re-assemble the suspension and double check the adjusted height.

I hope this helps

Regards;

George Beston
Alfetta