Re: [alfa] Getting to the archives

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 12:15:16 -0400 "Gwynne W. Spencer" <gwynnes1@domain.elided> wrote:

> I have not ever used an "ftp" site before and am having difficulty with
> ours ;-(

> I would very much appreciate a little help on this

> I went to ftp://ftp.digest.net/  and after a while the access "timed out"
> How am I supposed to identify myself to it?

you shouldn't have to, it's set up for anonymous ftp.

are you behind some sort of firewall?

there are two types of ftp, active and passive, and often
agressive firewall setups will break things when clients are
set up to use active. the thing to do would be to see if you
can toggle whatever you're browsing with to use passive
mode. there's a "use passive ftp" checkbox in the advanced
tab in internet options in current versions of internet exploder.

richard