Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's

At 05:38 PM 7/27/2004, you wrote:

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:24:40 -0600
From: "Jose R. Castro" <jcastro@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] K&N 164 experience

Hello:

I installed an K&N air filter on my 1995 Alfa Super a few months back. At the
time it seemed a good idea and a good money saver in the long run. Everything
ran fine until this last Friday when my car engine suddenly died on a busy
intersection. The engine would not start and the symptoms were those of  empty
fuel tank: It seemed to catch while cranking only to die the minute I released
the starter, no matter how I pumped the gas pedal! I had filled the tank
earlier that day, so I knew I had fuel. I inspected the corresponding fuses
and electricals assuming that fuel wasn't getting to the engine. No luck. So I
waited for the tow truck to arrive. After waiting for about 20 minutes, I
decided to try one last time and the engine started right away although it
would hunt at idle. If I released the gas pedal after keeping the engine at
around 3000 rpm, it would not idle, it would die. If I released the gas pedal
slowly, it would idle erratically. Drove the car to my office where I could
check everything under the hood, cleaned connectors and rechecked fuses.
Couldn't find any problems. Over the weekend I decided to do further checking
and opened the air cleaner box. The air meter and hose were completely covered
with an oily grime. It seems that the K&N does let more air through but it
also lets some dust (that mixes with the filter oil) into the system. Cleaned
it all out using WD-40 and re-installed a standard air filter. Started the
engine and the idle hunting disappeared and now the car runs better and the
engine temp is reading lower at same driving conditions!
I am tempted to conclude that all that grit was interfering with the normal
fuel mixture operation, but can't be 100% sure. Has anybody else experienced
this type of problem with their K&N filters?

Jose R. Castro
1995 164 Super
El Salvador