[alfa] Re: heater valve for 85 GTV6

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 06:31:55 +0000, Otto Schug wrote:

>From: Otto Schug <schugof@domain.elided>
>Subject: [alfa] Need replacement heater valve for 85 GTV6
>
>Alfisti,
>
>I have an 85 GTV6 with a tropic air system.  There are no longer any new heater valves available that
attach to the main heater/air conditioning system; I have checked a lot of the Alfa parts suppliers.  I have
checked the GTV6 Forum on the subject.  Previously, apparently Doug Sedon posted in the Digest that a
Mazda 626 heater valve was similar.  However, I need the part number, car year and whether it is for a 4
cylinder or 6 cylinder Mazda.  Another person indicated a Fiat 128 (1974-1979) had a metal heater valve that
could be adjusted to fit.  Other than a salvage yard, if there is a Fiat 128 still available, I do not know where to
get the Fiat 128 heater valve.

>Your assistance for a replacement type heater valve will be greatly appreciated.

      Below is my response to someone else needing a GTV6 heater valve.
I ordered the 128 valve a few months ago from IAP but haven't installed
it since what I have is working ok. The 128 valve looks like it should work
though.

	I'm afraid a broken GTV6 heater valve is worse than you think.
Mine didn't leak, but wouldn't open. I called several Alfa places and
the part is no longer availible. Hasn't been for a couple years. There's
a web page called, "The incredible exploding GTV6 heater valve"
which suggests a Mazda 626 heater valve ('79-'82) works  with
modification but it turns out that valve is NLA also. I suppose you
might find one in salvage though. IAP has given the problem some thought
and suggested a Honda heater valve (chosen for small size) mounted in the
engine compartment. I tried to drill through my original valve to get coolant
to the heater and then to dismantle the valve, both with no luck. I ended
up using the water outlet tube from an old X1/9 water pump (modified) to bolt
to the heater inlet and a simple manual valve placed under the hood.
If anyone has a better fix I'd love to hear it!!
		Mark Manley

                                    Mark Manley
	Hooray The Digest Is Back!

Tulsa,Ok