[alfa] AROC convention driving routes

i'm going to make a suggestion to those who are coming in from a
more northerly direction. most online mapping programs will give you
a pretty mediocre route using I-90 to Worchester and then loop around
Boston from there; i've driven this and never particularly liked it. it is
claimed that the Democratic convention will make this worse, a
prospect i don't even want to think about.

what follows is a variant on the route that i use to get to NHIS, whether
towing or not. these notes start from Albany, NY, Exit 24 of I-90 (the
junction of I-90 and I-87) it includes a lot of twisty uphill and downhill
sections. some of the hills are steep. i presume your brakes work. i've
towed my ITB Alfetta on this, both with a battered old Ford LTD II station
wagon and a 1 ton E350 Van (both with 460s.) it works, unless you
have a really awful tow vehicle.

Take I-87 North.

Take Exit 7 (NY 7 East).
        (note that you will be passing through Latham
         NY, which is where the digest.net server is
         physically located.)

Continue on NY 7 East through Troy (this is under
construction and can get a little sluggish; stick it out.)

after getting out of troy, look for Duncan's Dairy Bar
on the right, a yellow one story eating establishment
of considerable local fame (breakfast, lunch, dinner,
no alcohol.)

Continue on NY 7 East to the NY-Vermont line, where
it becomes Vermont 9.

Continue through Bennington. if you were to detour
a couple of miles north on US 7, you would find the
Blue Ben Diner, another famous local eating establishment.

Continue on Vermont 9 across Vermont to Brattleboro, VT.

   (halfway there, in Wilmington, to the right down a
    side street in the center of town, is a restaurant which
    was the site of one of the most memorable bad dining
    experiences of my life.)

Left onto I-91 north.

After the next exit (Exit 3), leave I-91 to remain
on Vermont 9. this crosses the river quickly, and
becomes New Hampshire 9. (there are a couple of
chain restaurants (Pizza Hut grade) right after
the exit, then food sources dry up for a while.)

Take NH 9 to Keene.

      (some mapping programs show
       the use of NH 101 from Keene to Manchester; i've done
       this before and found it rather slow, but it's been a while
       and it may have been improved; the 101 bypass around
       Milford looks to have been completed.)

In Keene, turn north to remain on NH 9. after a couple of exits,
exit this road to remain on NH 9.

Take NH 9 to I-89.

Take I-89 south to I-93.

Take I-93 south to Manchester
     (if you were going direct to NHIS, you'd go north
      on I-93 to Concord, take I-393 across the river, and
      NH 106 north from there.)

richard