[alfa] U.S Underappreciation.

In a digest or two ago Jay Hinton asked whether he should keep his early GTV6
original or install a 3litre etc. My answer would be to keep as original as
possible if you wish to maintain or enhance value. This leads me to the
impression I get in reading this and other US sourced forums that the GTV6 is
undervalued over there. I appreciate that the bulk of production obviously
went to Alfa`s biggest market the USA, however elsewhere they were  in effect
a 'cheap exotic', with a meaningful race winning pedigree in UK, Mainland
Europe, and Australasia, plus taking speed records. They were a relatively
expensive and comparatively rare car in just about every other
market(including Italy) with the added attraction of the history and tradition
of the Alfa Romeo brand. They had at the time quite radical exotic looks and
engineering (not the trim and body finish) of Ferrari-bearing in mind it is an
`old school Alfa`, designed by the same engineers as many Ferraris(and old
Lancias) My Ferrari Testarossa is mechanically made of no better materials, is
finished no better engineeringwise and indeed displays many of the same
foibles and faults (including dodgey electrics, such as part time electric
window operation etc, obstructive gearshift until warmed up etc). In 2.5litre
form as opposed to 5litre 12cyl in the Testarossa, my GTV6 is faster in some
parts of my favourite test circuit, mainly because it is more nimble and
sufficiently quick engine wise. It is horses for courses. While I appreciate
the GTV6 will not shine at traffic light gran prix or on ramp acceleration
battles (I wouldn`t take on a WRX STI, or an EVO with even the Ferrari in
these situations) for an old car they perform very well and still retain that
special feel.
GTV6`s were far from the perfect car, even when new, but they represent the
last of the Alfa performance rwd coupes, had a great pedigree, were
sufficiently quirky to make them interesting, and represented an `engineers
car`, before the cost accountants and marketing people took over at Fiat. No
wonder they lost money on them for what they sold them for. And of course they
were reasonably rare everywhere else but the USA.-Makes me jealous when I see
the prices. Keep it stock and it hopefully will retain or grow in value,
disappointing performance (to you guys) poor a/c, warts and all.

Richard Jones,
Christchurch, New Zealand.

`74 GTV 2litre, `74 Berlina 2litre, `81 Alfasud Ti Veloce, `84 GTV6,  `88 33
1.7QV, `87 Ferrari Testarossa.