Re: [alfa] Spider fuel filter replacement

Hey Colin

This problem sounds exactly like the one I experienced with my '78 Spider. As the pressure in the fuel system goes down, the clog falls away and you can go again. It will happen more and more as the clog gains grimy little friends. You should definitely replace both filters. One is in the back, just forward of the tank. You can get to it by crawling under the car just forward of the tire. The other filter is in the engine compartment, underneath the airbox on the passenger side. Both filters can be gotten from IAP. As far as installation is concerned, the rear one is relatively straightforward (you WILL spill some gas). Just make sure you put it in pointing the right way. The front one involves removing a housing and basically taking it apart. Rather confusing looking, if I recall, but easier than it looks.

HTH
Ben Kaupp
'78 Spider (fuel flow is now the least of my worries)