RE: [alfa] My 156 :-)

Sorry Dave, I only did it to tease you!

While looking at cars it was interesting to drive a 1996 GTV TS and a 1999
156 within a few hours. I was surprised by how different they were -
although it looked great and was fun to drive the GTV felt like an older
generation car (dare I say it, "Italian car"), slightly awkward to drive,
some heavy controls, some very light. And wipers that didn't work properly
on int and a screen that wouldn't demist properly.... The 156 felt much more
"complete" and modern. Maybe that means it isn't a "real" Alfa!

Another interesting comparison is with my wife's 1999 Fiat Marea Weekend
(naf name for a wagon eh!). This has the Fiat 2L 20V 5cylinder, which is
almost exactly the same HP and torque as the 156 (at slightly higher rpms).
However the motors feel more different than I expected, the Fiat is fairly
flat until about 4000 rpm then really comes alive and revs hard to redline
(smooth but loud), the Alfa 2.0 TS has more torque at 3-4000rm, but doesn't
feel as manic at high revs as the Fiat, and is quieter throughout. The Fiat
handles well, but the 156 is in another league.

Ahh, time for the commute home in the 156. What a shame!
Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce
1998 Alfa Romeo 156 TS