Re: [alfa] Sticking Clutch Pedal/brake fluid/poly bushings

On Jul 19, 2004, at 1:59 PM, Dean W. Cains wrote:

If you're having a contest and actually declaring a winner, I'd say that you've got a failed clutch pivot pin. If that's the case, I'd strongly advise against using the factory replacement part, as it might break before you're around the block. A fellow Digester, John Ortakales makes a reinforced part that is guaranteed to never break, and for around the same price, is the only part to use (unless you like pulling the pedal box repeatedly).
Hrm. I received numerous links to websites about the failed clutch pivot pin (when I posted before), but mine, at least from the outside, looks fine. Both the clutch and brake pedal are at the same height, and one of the symptoms I saw when I read was that the clutch pedal would sit lower if the pivot pin was failing.

For the most part, the clutch is smooth and quiet when used. After we flushed the fluid, you could hear a noise and feel something, well, almost like grit somewhere in the linkage. With one person activating the clutch, the other person could feel the master cylinder and it was like something was inside, causing the problem.

Now I won't rule out the pivot pin, because they do seem to fail, the car has 170K+ miles on it, and it is close enough to the MC that a problem with the pin could feel like it's coming from the MC itself.

Gotta think on this a little more, before we can declare a winner, etc. (grin)

-T