[alfa] Stock airbox with K&N

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:05:46 -0400
From: "Brian Shorey" <bshorey@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: [alfa] SPICA air box/ Leave well enough alone

> Well, the sump guard sits so low that I bottom out everywhere
> and I cringe at every hill and dip I see! It's coming off!
> And the SPICA air box is causing a bad ping! Well, I assume
> that is the problem. And so my post: Could the SPICA air
> box cause a ping due to the restriction of air when compared
> to K&N air filters? Can I tune the ping out (ignition
> timing)? Should I? I was running on 87 Octane with no
> problems using the K&Ns. Unless convinced otherwise, I'll
> switch back to the K&N setup.

I don't think there's much of a flow problem with the Spica airbox. I'd
think the K&N's would be much more likely to cause pinging due to the
ingestion of hot air from the engine compartment.

But, I don't think either of those intakes will cause pinging. My
recommendation would be to look elsewhere, the timing or the fuel/octane.

bs
---
You can also get K&N elements for the stock SPICA airbox, IAP (At least I
think it was them) have them in their last catalog.

Eric