[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #221

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004
From: "Timothy Leigh Rodgers" <timothy@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Tour de France--Alfa

In prior years, there were always Alfas easy to see as the vehicles
following the bikes on the Tour de France.  This year I see none!  Any
cycling afficianados out there know what happened?

Timothy in Santa Barbara

You refer to what was know as the "LeBlancmobile". (LeBlanc being the directeur of the whole Tour de France). The race has been sponsored in the past few years by volvo or fiat or some other inferior brand, but LeBlanc clung to his Alfa for reasons we can all understand. His car was tricked out with radios and TVs and he followed every stage and was always the first car seen behind the saluting winning riders as they crossed the finish line, so his machine was always highly visible. While the other support vehicles changed every year, LeBlanc liked his Alfa. I suppose it finally wore out or more likely he was coerced into going with the sponsor's vehicle.

By the way, in the 60s and 70s, lots of Italian teams used Giula sedans for their team support vehicles and I treasure a poster I have showing the Bianchi team mid 70's, with the team and their bikes fanned out around a lovely Super painted in that Bianchi pale green color.

tom
san francisco
67 GTV
78 GIOS Torino