Re: [alfa] Re: iPod

Sam:

Try going to Radio Shack and getting a two outlet extension adapter for your cigarette lighter. The male end will work well in your lighter (does in my 164's and '92 spider so unless the '88 grad lighter is different?) and you will have two outlets that are more standard than the alfa cigar lighters and should work with the recharger.

I'm running windows XP on a Compaq notebook and Delorme's USB powered GPS and Street Atlas USA 2004 and Music Match Jukebox for mp3 ripping and playing and an putting the audio thru an iRock FM transmitter (instead of the iTrip). All this is hooked thru a couple of extension cables(: usb for the GPS and stereo audio for the iRock) allows the laptop to sit behind the passenger seat. The shuffling tunes and the GPS route voice instructions from the laptop being broadcast over the fm radio. The iRock is located down by the cigarette lighter so if a strong fm station begins to over power the iRock it can easily be changed to a retuned radio frequency. For detailed map following; we can pull the laptop to the passenger/ (navigator) 's lap.

Anyway, that cigarette lighter adapter should give you plenty of power and make your charger work reliably

Best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett

Sam Kass wrote:

For my iPod "installation" I bought an iTrip (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/) and a square of velcro the size of the iPod. I put the velcro down under the emergency brake, which when released still leaves enough space so it doesn't press the iPod's buttons, and the other half on the back of the iPod. To play it, I just tune it to a blank station and set the iTrip for that station. Since my antenna wire goes under that point, the reception is perfect, and I can yank it out by pulling it off the velcro and into my pocket... no wires. I just used the existing radio in the car. It's true it'll run out of batteries if I drive for more than 6-8 hours at a time (and the Alfa cigarette lighter doesn't hold onto my car recharger very well,) but for normal use it works great.
--Sam
'88 Graduate