[alfa] Re: Nero Pastello

At Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:20:03 -0400 "John Hertzman" wrote
>Whatever Nero Pastello is proves nothing about a contemporary Rosso, but if
anyone can shed light on Italian use of the term pastello in automotive paints
I would be interested.

At Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:13:54 -0400 Dean W. Cains wrote
>I always think of a pastel color as one with a muted or pale shade, and I
>think that's appropriate for the Nero Pastello because it's not a pure
>black.  I've never associated the term pastel with the level of gloss, and
>would also say that the older yellow, "giallo pagoda", is a pastel
>color.  Most people I'm sure miss it, but in just the right light, such as
>when the angle of the sun is low, my '87 Spider is a really deep, dark
>gray, rather than black.  It can't be more than a few shades away from
>black, but it's definitely not black.

Well, let's put some order.
First of all my 75 Turbo is a NERO PASTELLO DOPPIO STRATO as well. :)

What is "doppio strato"? IT can be translated as double layer I suppose.

It's very important buying cars with double layer paint. Doesn't matter if
that's pastello (pastel) or metalizzata. It must be DOPPIO STRATO.
MONO STRATO (one layer) paints are much more delicate, and easy to stay
permanently
damaged (stains) by: resing from tree (never park under trees), bugs, birds
excrements,
rain (acid rain).

Metalized color is a paint containing small metal parts inside, that mixing up
with
other elements and/or pigments, give a metallic look to the color.
These particles are alluminium color, and could vary in their shape and size,
making
several effects, like being more or less bright.
These colors (and other special one "PERLATI", "MICALIZZATI") differ from
PASTEL or solid
ones on the look side but also on the applying procedure.
The metalized color are typically mat, so the 2nd transparent layer is very
imporant to
give it the brightness.
Some colors (PERLATI) may require the 3rd layer as well.

This leads to the conclusion that a 2nd layer for PASTEL COLOR must be there
for a
matter of quality and resistance. It doesn't need it, it look fine alone, but
it
could be too weak for a car (bugs, rain, sun, parking outside, salt,
winters....).

Luca

"When the chosen people
 grew more strong,
 the rightful cause at length
 became the wrong." (John Dryden, Absalon and Achitophel)

937, '87 Alfa 75 Turbo, '90 Alfa 75 1.8ie, '75 Benelli 500 Quattro, RM250
Myself: http://members.xoom.it/nodoubt73
Finnish Mythology: http://www.finnishmyth.org
Cars FS: http://www.baxanoengine.com/