Re: [alfa] Nero Pastello (was: Clear Coat on Alfa Red Paint?)

I can't go farther than I have gone on the questions about pastels, gloss,
blackness, etcetera. My desk dictionary (yours may well differ) gives
meanings for pastel both as an adjective ("pale and light in color") and as
a noun - also "any of various pale or light colors", but primarily "a paste
made of ground color and used for making crayons". For crayon, "a stick of
white or colored chalk or of colored wax - ". I tend to eliminate the idea
of a pale or light black (and more so in the case of the very black
clearcoated "Nero Pastello" on my Milano) in favor of a chalk matte, but
all are free to differ.

Adding a wild card, Spiders (from PF) and tintops (from Arese) frequently
use the came names but different codes for similar but presumably not quite
identical colors. An ARI part-number list for touch-up paints gives AR 913
(my '87 Milano's Nero Pastello) for the '85 GTV6 black, AR 914 for the '85
Spider black,  AR 908 for the '82-'84 GTV6 black metallic, AR 907 for the
'82-'84 Spider black metallic, AR 909 for previous black metallics, and AR
901 for previous blacks. The 901 is the black listed for tintops in the AR
body shop manual; I also have a DuPont (but not ARI) listing of an AR 904
black for Spiders in the seventies. The black metallics, in at least some
cases, degrade into dark browns as they age.

John H.