[alfa] Clear coat?

I don't know if this is the reason for the clear coat over red in the above case, but I wanted to repaint the bezel around the grill of my red Toyota truck. I tried several suppliers and they all said the same thing: Gloss Red auto paint contains cadmium and is now a no-no, at least here in California. This is a relatively new development according to the paint suppliers although I cannot remember exactly when it went into effect.
The only way red can now be sprayed is in a flat coat with a clear coat for gloss and protection.
This may be true through out the US because of the cadmium hazard.
I also tried several on line companies and got the same story.
Chuck