[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #211 epiflex

Hi Group,

In a recent post, John hertzman quoted my reference to an exhaust band clamp
from J. C. Whitney. These have disappeared from their catalog, but are still
available from various race supply sources at around $10.00 each. Last week,
I needed a quick fix for my motorhome exhaust, and bought a 3.00 "Donaldson
SealClamp" from a local truck supply store. Cost was $5.95, and it is
essentially the same as the Whitney part except the curved intermediate
clamp is replaced by two flat flanges at the ends of the band that are
tightened on a flexible metallic "rope" seal at the pipe surface. These
clamps are made for the trucking industry and are intended to provide a
complete seal when a piece of flex tubing is placed over a rigid pipe. When
tightened, the stainless band actually distorts over the different exhaust
components. If this fits your needs, it is a great component, and not at all
a kludge.

On the overall J. C. Whitney topic: you pays your money and takes your
choice. If you can sort through the junk, there are good components
available. I bought a trapezoid shaped diamond plate Aluminum storage box to
mount on the tongue of my trailer, and it came from a respected Michigan
trailer manufacturer. The Whitney billing "system" was efficient when I had
to return the second storage box sent after I recieved the first, but
obviously scrwed up in originally sending the second part.

Alfa content: both of our Spiders fit on the trailer.

George Schweikle
Lexington, KY