Re: [alfa] driveshaft vibrations/looseness

------snip-------
the second vibration, most noticeable when pulling up to a stop. A real
low-speed shudder/judder tooth-rattler, this one needs to go first.

This I have experienced before with worn u-joints (which you said you just replaced-- sorry) altho could make the noise also somewhat on takeoff. It's probably worse with worn tranny mount and rear axle mounting bushings. If the u-joints are really shot (dust inside one or more cups) it also makes a kind of hollow scrapey-whooshy sound at light throttle or coasting in neutral. This was how my Spider was when I bought it (used). I was young and knew something was probably wrong. Was amazed at how it quieted down and smoothed out with new u-joints. Thank you Santo!

Pertinent question: Who replaced the u-joints and what brand are they? I have heard you cannot always detect bad u-joints by checking for play while installed in the car. Also, it matters about the placement of the springs in some of the cups. And while the Alfa 105 driveshaft is not such an advanced technical item, the driveshaft "ears" can easily bend if not using care with the correct tools. Finally, check the orientation of the front piece (forget name) that slides over the splined shaft-- there are faint matchup marks that are easily missed.

I did replace the flex coupling because of heavy cracking/chunking of the rubber but forget if it was making any noise or vibration.

More recently I removed the driveshaft and took it to a recommended local truck driveline shop for rebuild-- it came back vibrating at ~70 MPH. Not a hum as you describe but a noticeable vibration that could be felt & seen especially on the gearshift. They couldn't get it right on the first return, then I gave up on them and lucked out with the first or second placement of a simple hose clamp. Wes Ingram now ships his out for rebuild in a PVC tube to a guy in (Oregon?) who is supposed to do a great job. When comes time for another driveshaft rebuild will probably do that.

--Caxambu
1969 Spider Veloce 1750
Seattle WA