Re: [alfa] 164 questions, already

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 09:40:09 -0400 Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided> wrote:

> My parents bought a '95 164LS on eBay last week, and it came home
> yesterday.  On the way home (according to my dad, who picked it up)
> it apparently developed an exhaust leak, or at least what sounds like
> an exhaust leak pretty close to the engine.  I'm guessing that the
> flex pipes are probably the most likely thing to leak (the 164's OEM
> exhaust has flex pipes, right?), but I didn't see such a part listed
> in the IAP catalog.  Am I totally off-base here?  If I turn out to be
> right, where can we get these parts, how much is it going to cost,
> and how big a pain in the ass is it going to be to do the work?  (If
> my parents really expect me to service a modern, FWD car, I think it
> may be time that I officially move out of their house.)

to repair the flex pipes in an economical manner, you need to buy
flex sections (available from www.epiflex.com) and have someone
competent cut out the old and weld in the new.  epiflex has a wide
variety in stock, both in diameter and length.

the job is very similar to flex pipe repairs on current model audis,
so most any busy independent foreign car mechanic has probably
done something of the sort more than once.

it's best if the mechanic surveys the job and tells you what size
he wants. i researched the flex pipes on the digest and via google,
bought some, and then my mechanic advised me he didn't want to
do it that way, and asked me to go longer and larger with the pipes.

richard