[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #204 - Formula for calculating correct tire size

Biba,

    The 165 / 14 is really a 165-78-14 or a 165-80-14, depending on the
manufacturer.  The 165 / 14, the 185-70-14 and the 195-60-15 are all pretty close
to the same diameter.  Those were the stock sizes Alfa put on 105/115 Alfas.
    The 195-65-14, the 205-60-14 and the 225-50-15 are also close to the same
diameter of approximately 24 inches, theoretically.  My personal favorite is
the 205-60-14 for any Alfa with 14 inch wheels.
    The 155-15 that the Duetto and earlier Alfas came with is about an inch
taller.  A good replacement for it is a 185-65-15.  That much wider tire will
fit on a 4 1/2 inch rim.
    I once measured a bunch of tires to compare with the theoretical.  I
learned two things.  One, tire sizes as indicated by the markings on the tires are
an approximation only.  They vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.  Hoosier
race tire seem to be the largest tires of any given size, for what it is
worth.
    And two, you cannot measure the rolling circumference of a tire with a
steel tape measure.  You need a cloth tape or a string and a steel tape.
Measuring the circumference is easier and more accurate than measuring the diameter,
then divide by pi.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 7/8/2004 5:10:26 PM Central Daylight Time,