[alfa] Formula for calculating correct tire size

I want to thank everyone who sent me the various sites for doing just what I asked. Sure couldn't figure out the Miata one. There sits three, three digit numbers - all looking like variations on the sidewall height. Ummm...

While I couldn't quite get it to do everything I wanted, http://ejelta.com/tiresize/ sent to me by Benjamin Kaupp was the most helpful. The main thing is an important page appears when you first go to the site. If one starts putting in the information it logically asks for (rim width from - to, etc) this page then disappears from the face of the earth.

However, rebooting and clicking on 15" I got about seventy jillion (+ or -) tire sizes along with their diameters - which was the main point.

Before I get to my other questions, I have a question. How does one know exactly how tall a Particular tire is before purchasing? I forget if TireRack gives that info. Right now I'm thinking of cheating big time - 195/65-15. The diameter (theoretically) is 24.98. I figure I can get a 25" tire in the spare tire well. You can see my concern. Yeah, I know, get a smaller one for the spare.

The inside 69's glove box decal shows the size as 165/S-14. What the hell size is S? The calculator indicates 165/70-14 as being 23.09". I have a Bridgestone 165/ SR-14 in the shop which measures 24" with about half tread. What size is SR?

Should I go up approximately 2" in diameter, will I have to get out and give it a push just to get it off the line every time I come to a stop? Yeah, yeah, I know the speedo will also be off a might.

A 185/70-14 (which I see frequently on '69 Alfa Spiders) is 24.20" (theoretically).

What's the tallest you 15" Duetto guys (yes, you can take that as a compliment) have gone and what were your (driving) experiences?

One other tiny little question. I'm also thinking of installing some used lower / shorter springs all around. Might I have a bit of a conflict, rubbing wise? I do have the opportunity to make my own offset though.

Okay, just one last question: While not the best of revues, I sure liked the looks and especially the name of the Pirelli P6000 Sport Veloce 195/65-15 tire. Anyone tried them?

Thanking you all in advance for answering each and every one of my questions,

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA