[alfa] Paint matching...again

While I'm not going to say this is the final answer on the subject but when I picked up the specially matched Straw (AR103) from the paint store the other day I asked again about the fact there were original formulas for these paints. This time the fellow who matches the paint said that they did have the original formulas and that is what he started with. Would I like to see it? You bet. Not even in the ballpark unless one is not very discriminating. I had decided to have him match the "chip" on the 1980 Du Pont Alfa Romeo sheet.

Jesse didn't say how much was done by eye and how much by spectrometer (believe that is the correct name for the paint matching tool). When I had called before picking up the paint he told me he was making final adjustments and it would be ready in an hour. When I got there (an hour later), he was just putting the final formula in the computer (hope they back up better than I do).

I'm quite sure if one went to a car show and there were three Straw painted Alfas sitting side by side - all with a similar degree of polish and all painted with high quality, but different brand paints - there would be a difference. But if the paints were all carefully matched (I will admit the question becomes "with what?") they would all be quite a lot closer than if they were all painted using strictly the formulation supplied by the various paint manufacturers.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA