RE: [alfa] Fiat Valve Tool (NAC)

I am not 100% certain how the Fiat twin cam engine is layed out
compared to the Alfa, but my mechanic has made 2 tools to help
do the job. Basically two identical pieces of metal shaped into
a slight "S" shape. Hard to explain, but it simply guides around
the camshaft so that you can lever the tappet down. Once it is
down, you wedge in the other tool to hold the tappet in place on
the side. You can then remove the shim using a very small screwdriver.

If you have access to metal working equipment, I'm sure you could
make up a set of your own tools. Hope this helps a bit :)

Regards,
Benjamin W.

Hi Alfisti,

I'm a regular reader of the list and find it very informative. I myself have
a Fiat 124 Spider and so don't mean to intrude, but am aware of the
cross-over interest in the two marques. Long story short: Does anyone know
where I can snag a tool for compressing the tappets and removing the shims
for this car?
All of the regular vendors are out of stock. Anyone selling one.?

Thanks,

Alex L
Toronto Canada