From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
alfacybersite
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 3:57 PM
To: AD
Subject: [alfa] "Captive nuts"

Don't believe this is the correct term. I'm referring to the round
(generally aluminum?) threaded tubes where one installs by drilling an
appropriate sized hole, inserting the tube, then screwing in special
tool (and size) then tightening which crushes  the the inner / outer
portion of the tube...not unlike a pop rivet.

What is the proper name for these tools and does anyone have a
particular brand they would recommend? I bought a Harbor Freight version
some years ago. The main tool itself is quite well made and sturdy.
Unfortunately that is not the case with the threaded parts which go with
each size of the "captive nuts". The threads on the end are bad and the
outer threaded "cap" broke in two.

Are these universal so I can get just the end parts? I also had problems
with getting the nuts to crush evenly and solidly. Later when threading
in the bolt, it was not unusual for the "captive nut" to turn.

I need to do 18 on the three '69 Spiders and don't want to turn it into
an all day job.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA