[alfa] axle whine

I recently changed out the axle in my GTV because the whine had become so
loud that I didn't want to drive the car. There was very obvious wear on the
teeth of the crown wheel in the bad axle. The whine was loudest under part
load. It went away completely on over run and was not too bad under
acceleration. The problem was almost certainly due to running with low oil
in the differential when the pinion seal was leaking badly.
Ed Prytherch
73 GTV
79 Spider

>I wanted to tap into collective wisdom again. Never had to deal with
differentials up to this point, but my "new" Spider has a distinct whine
coming from the rear, noticeable mostly on deceleration, or coasting in
neutral. Under load the noise seems to go away.
What would be the most likely diagnosis in this scenario, and likely cure?
In
case I need a new rear axle, are they interchangeable between the years? My
car is a late model Spider.<