[alfa] (Alfa Digest) Lodge plugs & high output coil

In Digest 187, Anthony asked -
"If I install a high output coil, good leads, and NGK plugs on my car, I'd
usually increase the plug gap to get a stronger spark.  If, however, I'm
running Golden Lodge multiple electrode plugs, should I do anything?  Is
there as much of an advantage to the high output coil with the Lodge plugs,
or is some of the advantage lost?"

On this, I'd suggest that, with a standard or near-standard car, there's
probably little or no advantage from a high-output coil in the first place.
In practice the normal ignition system, on your four-cylinder Alfa doing up
to say 7,000 rpm, is pretty well up to the job already, as far as I
understand. Some years ago I saw a test project in a car magazine which took
half a dozen various cars and fitted each with a range of aftermarket
ignition systems, and put all the combinations on the dyno. Few or none
showed any improvement over standard. This is only a sketchy outline of the
test, but it was well-detailed in the magazine and I was impressed by the
methodology and the range of scenarios examined. It convinced me that the
standard system is largely up to the job already, in a reasonably standard
car in a good state of health and tune.

I'd be interested to hear of other comparison-tests though, or real
experiences from users.

Best regards,
Graham Hilder,
NZ