[alfa] Re: RE: sports sedan

At 10:20 PM +0000 6/28/04, alfa-digest wrote:
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 07:49:37 +0930
From: "Benjamin Woenig" <budweiser@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: [alfa] RE:  sports sedan

Any chance we could see some pictures of this amazing beast?

I met someone on work experience that was building an Alfetta GTV
with a Montreal V8 motor. He was retaining the original unmodified
transaxel. Unfortunately he wouldn't tell me where he got the Montreal
motor from though! Alfa made a number of Alfetta GTV8's with the
engines left over from Montreal production I think, so he was attempting
to recreate one of these rare cars.

Much of the literature I've read claims that the Montreal engine is
derived from the 33 Stradale (and other 33 variants) in "detuned form".
What exactly was "detuned" to make the Montreal's V8 more tame for the
everyday user?

~Benjamin W.
Adelaide, Aus.

I don't really think the Montreal engine should be considered a detuned Tipo 33 unit. I'm sure they're closely related in many respects, but to my knowledge, all Tipo 33's had 2 spark plugs per cylinder and flat-plane crankshafts, for example, whereas the Montreal had one plug per cylinder and a cross-plane crank. The Tipo 33's fuel injectors were upstream of the (guillotine) throttles, as is common on racing engines, while the Montreal's injectors were downstream of the throttle as is the convention in production cars. The Tipo 33 Stradale had a higher compression ratio than the Montreal, and the Tipo 33 race cars probably had even higher compression. The Tipo 33 engines that I'm aware of displaced either 2.0 or 3.0 liters, whereas the roadgoing Montreal engine displaced 2.6. In light of these details, I tend to think of the Montreal engine as a pair 1300's sharing one race-bred, dry-sump block.

As far as official 116 V8's go, my understanding is that Autodelta intended to build the aluminum-skinned Alfetta GT 3000 using a 3.0L marine version of the Montreal engine (possibly for rally homologation), but the project was cancelled for economic reasons. Later, the German Alfa distributor built roughly 20 of what they called an Alfetta GTV 2.6i V8, using stock Montreal motors.

-Joe