[alfa] fun with electricals

Okay, here's a question for the electrically enlightened among you.

Car: '87 Spider

Condition: Had not been driven for 4 weeks due to owner malfunction (broken ankle).

Pre-Condition Status: All systems functional.

This Morning's Status:  Rear passenger-side brake light non-functional.

Repair Attempt:  First step was to remove the light bulb, clean the contacts, and
inspect bulb for damage.  Bulb was burnt out.  Replaced bulb, re-assembled lamp
assembly and test brake light function.

Result:  No brake lights at all are functioning.  Also, interior clock numbers have
vanished, although clock backlight is still working.

Next Repair Attempt:  After consulting the Holy Wiring Diagram of Alfa, it was determined
that both circuts ran through vertical fuse #4 (that is, the 4th one from the left) on the
under-dash fuse box.  Upon inspection of said fuse, it appeared to have burnt through.
Replaced said fuse.  Clock numbers appeared again.  Depressed brake pedal.
Passenger side brake light still not functioning, but driver side was.  Released brake
pedal.   Heard the familiar "pop" of a fuse blowing.  Checked fuse.  Burnt hand on hot
fuse, swore a bit, then took it out.  Threw said fuse at wall.
Re-checked passenger side brake lamp bulb.  IT DID NOT BLOW!!!!
Tried a 25 amp fuse, just for fun.  It burnt out also, got quite a bit hotter than the 10 amp
fuse, and was consequently thrown about 10 mph faster into the wall.

Current Status:  I'm icing my shoulder (can't be too careful...), and I have no further ideas
on where to look for problems.  Something is obviously shorting out....I don't believe it
to be the clock, since it was working fine this morning, when the brake light was out.
I can't see any issues with the lamp connector or holder....the wiring looks good, and
since the lamp bulb did not burn out when the fuse did, I'm thinking that mabye the
problem is somewhere else.......but where??????

Any ideas will be highly prized and your name might possibly be immortalized in the
Hall of the Great Alfa Electrical Gremlin Conquering Heros.

Stacy Faught
'87 Spider Quad (sitting......again...)
'78 Alfetta Sport Sedan (having lose screw issues, but I've always thought the screws
   were just for show, and the car is actually held together by magic beans)