[alfa] new GTV-6 puzzle

Last night I started up my '82 GTV-6 and went to engage first gear; when I moved the shifter into the left gate, it sounded like the back of the shift linkage was hitting the rear giubo. What the hell? It also seemed reluctant to move forward into first gear, and I realized that the shifter certainly seemed like it was a bit further left then usual. I returned it to center and tried again, and it worked normally. But at the next light it again sounded like it was hitting the giubo, and first was hard to engage. I didn't have any more problems on the way home. What is going on here? Can something break in the transaxle and allow the selector rod to rotate beyond its intended range of motion?

Thanks,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6