[alfa] 164 (trans?) rattle?

Yesterday (with windows down) I noticed a slight rattling sound coming from the front of my 164. Increases under load and is more noticeable in lower gears at low rpm (less wind maybe.) I can hear it while disengaging the clutch, and while clutch is disengaged in gear, but NOT out of gear which steers me towards the transmission (one area which I am very unfamiliar with.) I would describe it as a metallic rattle, like that of a loose exhaust heat shield. What have I got doc? Thank you!

-Ryan