Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:51:59 EDT
From: Aibrucia@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] Engine break in.

Here's a question that should invite some controversy.  Awhile back I  had
new pistons, liners and rings installed in my 3.0. to cure an oil burning
problem.  Note that the top end had already been rebuilt.  The  bottom end
rebuild
did not solve the problem.  I am burning a quart of  20w50 every 400 miles
since the rebuild.  (3000 miles since).
Reluctantly, I have come to the conclusion that the rings did not  seat.
From what I've heard, if they haven't seated by now, they are glazed  and
never
will.
I'm prepared to do it again.  This time I will use Deves rings and not  Alfa

rings which apparantly is 1 mistake I made.  My question is that  in
addition
to that, I'm looking for any and all advice so this doesn't  happen again!
breaking in procedure, etc.

Tony Brucia

Long Island, NY