[alfa] Replacing Alfa flywheel bolts

Robert Watson" <robert_watson100@domain.elided> had asked:

> I am having a fly wheel resurfaced on a 1750 and the flywheel
> bolts look used. The suppliers I checked with said the 1750 bolts are
> unavailable in US. Does anyone know a source for these in US? How about
> the lock tabs? If these are not avaiable, do the ones for the 2000 work
> without modificaiton? If not, what are the other options? Clean the
> thread and use loctite?

When you say "the bolts look used", do you mean: "the bolts look damaged"?
Obviously the bolts from a 30+ year old car are used!  It would probably be
prudent to use new bolts every rebuild, but those flywheel bolts have a fairly
unique thread - they are quite fine as I recall.  I am 99% certain that 2L
bolts
wouldn't interchange (they're larger in diameter, yes?), and even if they
did,
would finding brand new 2L flywheel bolts be any easier than for a 1750?

Unless the used bolts are really munged up, yea, I would just clean them,
and substitute Loctite for the sheetmetal tabs.  Those tabs always seemed
kind of hokey to me - OK in their day, but since superceded by Loctite.

Incidently, I substitute Loctite for ALL of the sheetmetal locktabs used
in an Alfa engine - such as the ones on the connecting rod big ends.
Anyone think this is risky?  One thing that bugs me about the tabs is
the way they twist as you are torquing the big ends.

Regards

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, Calif